About Our Community
DELANO, MINNESOTA is a small town with a population of 5,654 (2013 census) located on US Hwy 12 where it crosses the South Fork of the Crow River in the southeastern corner of Wright County. Delano is just 27 miles from downtown Minneapolis, and just 45 minutes by car from the Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport.
In 1855, John E Ellis arrived in the Big Woods Country in southeast Wright County and staked a claim which later became the major part of the City of Delano. Originally named "Crow River," the citizens of the area renamed the village "Delano" after Frances R Delano, the superintendent of the railroad. By the time of incorporation in 1876, Delano was a thriving metropolis of Wright County. The Great Northern Hotel served as the major rest stop for salesmen who made calls in Watertown, Mayer, New Germany, Lester Prairie, and Winsted.
While Delano is a city of growth and promise, it is important to the people who live and work here to maintain the small town atmosphere. The City is conveniently located close to downtown Minneapolis, and yet is surrounded by family farms, lakes and wooded areas - it is truly the best of both worlds.
PARKS AND TRAILS
Delano's extensive and growing parks system is something the entire community enjoys. The gazebo in Central Park on the north end of the city was built and donated to the city by the General Federated Women's Club of Delano. For neighborhood park and trail maps click here. The Wright County Park System, Lake Rebecca Regional Park, and Luce Line State Trail all nicely compliment Delano's parks and trails system.
There are more than ten churches serving the Delano area. Denominations include: 3 Catholic, 3 Lutheran, Assembly of God, Evangelical Free, Methodist, and United Church of Christ. A full list of all area churches, with addresses and phone numbers, appears in the Community Directory. St Peter's famous Onion Dome, located in downtown Delano, can be seen for miles.
CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS
The Delano area has a multitude of clubs and organizations for all ages and interests. Please follow our Directory link or the Clubs and Organizations page for contact information.
* Delano is home to Minnesota’s Oldest and Largest Fourth of July Celebration each year, hosting more than 30,000 visitors over the four-day event. This year’s grand marshal will be Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton. Other notable grand marshals include NFL Hall of Famer Member John Randle, professional athlete Brock Lesnar, Congressman and Delano resident Tom Emmer, Jason Davis of KSTP TV’s “On the Road,” and WCCO sports reporter Mike Max. Six local community organizations (Delano Jaycees, Delano Lions, Delano Athletic Club, Delano Area Chamber of Commerce, Delano Sportsmen’s Club, and the Delano American Legion.
* Delano co-hosted the Minnesota State Amateur Baseball Association tournament in 2013. The two communities last hosted the tournament in 1997 and attracted almost 15,000 people, and also hosted in 1984.
* A large part of the movie “A Simple Plan,” released December 1998 and starring Billy Bob Thornton and Bill Paxton, was filmed in and around Delano and prominently featured several locations and local people as extras.
* Former Miss Delano Alex Forester was crowned Minneapolis Aquatennial’s 2009 Queen of the Lakes.
* Delano Public School System has received numerous honors and recognitions for academic achievement, including the Minnesota Academic Excellence Foundation School Spotlight Award in 2006, the School of Excellence Award in 2008 (Delano Elementary School) and was ranked highest in Forbes Magazine’s “Best Schools for your housing buck” survey in 2013. The school system is a primary reason people locate to Delano.
Delano 4th of July Celebration
There is a lot of history to this small town and early in 1999 the first Historical Society of Delano was formed.
For more information on Delano's history contact the local library at 763-972-3467 or the Delano Historical Society, Jon Steinmetz, President, 763-972-2655.
Delano Citywide Garage Sale Days and Sidewalk Sales
Every year, Delano hosts a citywide garage sale event which turns the entire town into a thrift seekers paradise.
Typically taking place in mid-August, this event brings people from the far corners of the state to the Delano community.
Delano Public Schools, 763-972-3365
Independent School District 879 boasts a 106-acre public school campus with three buildings housing 2280 students.
Our students have exceeded state graduation standards and state test scores for many years, and a high percentage of our graduates continue on to post-secondary education.